THE Department of Housing has revealed that problems related to administrative delays, land invasions and fraud have resulted in provincial housing projects to the tune of R1.7-billion being blocked.
In response to a parliamentary question, Housing Minister Lindiwe Sisulu’s department revealed that more than 469 projects were blocked countrywide at the beginning of October.
Housing spokesman Ndivhuwo Mabaya said the delays and blockages were due to administrative delays, inflation rendering original tenders insufficient, land invasions and/or fraud.
She said money intended for blocked projects, has been spent elsewhere. Build Your Own Home.
...The Housing Department could not provide the Sunday Times with the exact number of houses that had not been built due to blocked projects. e.g: Innovator seeks to build hemp homes - (Sunday Times)
James Masango, a DA MP and member of the Parliamentary Portfolio Committee on housing, said in Mpumalanga there were abandoned foundations for government housing projects that had been built in 2000 and were now overgrown with grass. Sunday Times