Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Fire razes 12 homes in Langa

Twelve shacks and a spaza shop were razed by a fire in Langa on Monday. Residents said a paraffin stove had fallen over, sparking the blaze.

Thembeka Dike and her eight children, whose shack stood beside that in which the fire broke out, lost all they possessed. The remains of a textbook, Successful Geography, lay amid the ruins as Dike sifted through the charred debris for what she could salvage.

"We have nowhere to go," said a desperate Dike.

We have lost everything."Next door Gideon Ntunta, 27, who has two children, lost his spaza shop. "There were two fridges in there." Next door to him, Siyabulela Mqvela, 25, and his pregnant girlfriend lost their home. Cape Times

No comments:

InternAfrica is a not-for-profit organisation addressing the Cape Habitat Crisis through education of sustainable green building methods as demonstrated here on HouseIT